Sign In Forgot Password

History of  Temple Beth Tzedek

"We remember and honor those who came before us and are mindful of our responsibility to transmit this heritage to new generations." - from our   mission statement

Photos & documents          

  • 1847 Congregation Beth El is formed as the first Jewish congregation in Buffalo. It is later renamed Temple Beth El.
  • 1890 Anshe Lubavitz is established as the first Hasidic shul in Buffalo. It is also known as the Pratt Street Shul.
  • 1897 Ahavas Achim, commonly known as the Fillmore Avenue Shul, is incorporated.
  • 1924 Temple Emanu-El is formed.
  • 1925 Congregation Ohev Zedek is founded.  Its name undergoes several changes from Congregation Anshe Zedek, to New Israel Congregation, and finally to Congregation Ner Israel.
  • 1950 Ahavas Achim and Anshe Lubavitz form Ahavas Achim-Lubavitz; it is later renamed Congregation B'nai Shalom.
  • 1955 Congregation Ner Israel merges with Temple Beth David to create Temple Beth David-Ner Israel.
  • 1960 Temple Beth El builds a suburban religious school at 2368 Eggert Road in the Town of Tonawanda that evolves into a new synagogue through additions and a sanctuary.
  • 1968 Temple Beth David Ner-Israel and Temple Emanu-El merge to form Temple Shaarey Zedek.
  • 1995 Beginning as a suburban school for Ahavas Achim-Lubavitz on North Forest Road in 1969, the site expands into a new synagogue center named Congregation B'nai Shalom.
  • 2008 Temple Shaarey Zedek and Temple Beth El join to form Temple Beth Tzedek.
  • 2011 Temple Beth Tzedek absorbs assets of Temple Beth Israel of Niagara Falls. Kesher is recognized at USCJ International Convention.
  • 2017 Congregation B'nai Shalom joins Temple Beth Tzedek.
  • 2017 The groundbreaking ceremony at North Forest Road marks the beginning of construction for a new sanctuary.
Wed, April 1 2020 7 Nisan 5780